Are you ready to build?

Here are the things to consider before building your dream home


Home amenities - products' specifications and descriptions that are variables in calculating the Total amount of the Quote of building or renovating your dream home.

Are you looking to build or renovate? Are you not sure where to start?

I want to talk to you about “What you need to provide before you ask a builder to quote on your project”.

To get an accurate price, you’ll need to supply a builder with lots of information and we are talking about residential Class 1 and 2 builds here. And that information is called a ‘tender package’ that is a complete set of plans and documents designed to tell the builder exactly what the project entails, and what needs to be built. But there are 5 main documents that are required as a starting point when you invite a builder to prepare a quote and those documents are -

SOIL REPORT A soils report is conducted by a geotechnical engineer and provides the soil classification. Based on this reports the engineer will decide on the footing system for the project.

ENERGY RATING REPORT is done by an energy rater, and we have to achieve 6* rating as a min. The Energy Report will tell me what R-value insulation to install for the roof space, for internal and external walls, what type of glazing to choose for your project. Be careful as the U-value figure in this report will make you install, say, thermally broken windows over standard alum windows. And that will affect the cost.

ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS – are done by your architect or a draftsman and they provide a site plan, floor plans, elevations, materials to be used externally/internally, roof plan, basic electrical plan…in other words, they show what we are building.

STRUCTURAL OR ENGINEERING DRAWINGS - they outline the size and types of materials to be used for the structure and general demands for connections. In other words, the engineer will specify how we are building what the architects have designed, what structure we are choosing, whether it is more steel over timber and so forth…

And finally, the STORMWATER PLAN (it may not be required by certain councils but I suggest you get a civil engineer to draw one for you) to make sure your block is properly drained and you don’t have issues with flooding later on. Again, his plan will show me how many and what size stormwater pits to install whether we require to detain the water on-site before discharging it into the street.